Monday, January 30, 2012

Hi, friends and family!

I am safely in St. Andrews, snacking on some clementines and cheese twists. Austin and I have spent the past two days recovering from a long 36 hours of travel. After a three-hour delay in Boston, five hours of sleeping in a terminal in Paris, misunderstanding a Scottish accent in customs, and a two-hour cab ride with a friendly local, we finally made it to our new residence halls.

So far, we've been to two Episcopal church services (Evensong last night and morning Eucharist today). They both used the KJV for scripture readings and Rite One for the liturgy, so we were happy, needless to say. Rite One seems especially fitting for the beautiful old churches and it has this little gem read before taking the Eucharist: "We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord whose property is always to have mercy." The church services were a great comfort because they felt very much like the services at home (minus the worship music!) and where they varied, I just had to follow along with the prayer book.

We also ordered beers in a pub for the first time, went grocery shopping, and explored the ruins of St. Andrews Cathedral. The cathedral was once the seat of the leading bishops in medieval Scotland, but  has been in disrepair since the 16th Century. It has a long and tumultuous history, suffering a fire in the 1300's, and in the 1400's it was purged of all icons and altars after Scottish reformer John Knox preached what must have been a particularly inspiring sermon. Below are some pictures of the ruins, as well as some pictures of the coast of the North Sea.

As always, feel free to write me via email. I'd love to hear from home! 






2 comments:

  1. Love the post, Cassie! :) So glad to hear that you made it there safely and are enjoying yourself! Please keep us updated on your travels-- and your studies of course! ;) We miss you! Be SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was checking my email at the gym (yes on my iPhone) and I think I almost fell off my stair stepper when I saw that I got your blog! This is so exciting. You better keep it updated! I'm sorry to hear about your travel problems...maybe you're just bad luck to travel with...(Dustin....oh wait I mean Duncan....) but anyway enjoy your time before classes start! I miss you already! I wish you were able to take part in my birthday festivities ;) we will celebrate both in June! Do they have DVD players in Scotland? Tell Austin I hope he brought step up and that I say hi! Be safe and have a great time!!! Oh and yes this was typed on my iPhone...one of Gods greatest inventions because now I can follow your blog on the go!!!!! Love you and keep in touch! Oh and your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete